What do aripiprazole tablets do?
ARIPIPRAZOLE (Abilify(R)) is used to treat schizophrenia and certain symptoms of bipolar disorder. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor. Generic Aripiprazole is available.
| What should my health care professional know before I take aripiprazole? They need to know if you have any of these conditions: • heart disease (such as history of heart attacks or chest pain, heart failure, irregular heartbeat) |
• history of stroke
• Alzheimer’s disease
• swallowing problems (such as history of aspiration)
• diabetes or a family history of diabetes
• depression or other mental or mood disorders, history of suicidal thoughts or attempts
• infection (such as pneumonia)
• pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I take this medicine? Take aripiprazole by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Swallow the capsules with a drink of water. This medicine may be taken on an empty stomach or with food. This medicine may be taken on an empty stomach or with food. Take this medicine regularly to receive the most benefit from it. Taking this medicine at the same time each day will help you to remember. CONTINUE TO TAKE THIS MEDICINE even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses. .Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your prescriber’s advice.
What if I miss a dose? If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
What other medicines can interact with aripiprazole?
Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines you are taking, including nonprescription medicines, nutritional supplements, or herbal products. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.
What side effects might I notice from taking aripiprazole? Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible: • uncontrolled muscle movements (especially of the face or tongue)
• muscle pain or tenderness
• decreased amount of urine produced
• unusual mental or mood changes
• swelling of the arms or legs
• chest pain, shortness of breath • symptoms of a stroke (such as sudden onset of vision changes, one-sided weakness or slurred speech)
• symptoms of high blood sugar (such as increased thirst, increased urination, or vision changes)
• extreme muscle stiffness
• fast or irregular heartbeat
• unusual increased sweating
• unusual changes in your mental alertness
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue
or are bothersome):
• nausea, vomiting
• diarrhea, stomach pain
• headache, lightheadedness, dizziness, blurred vision
• change in weight
• increased of saliva
• trouble sleeping
NOTE: This information is not intended to cover all possible uses, precautions, interactions, or adverse effects for this drug. If you have questions about the drug(s) you are taking, check with your health care professional. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatment.