Fexofenadine capsules or tablets
What do fexofenadine capsules or tablets do?
FEXOFENADINE (Allegra(R)) is an antihistamine. It reduces allergy symptoms of hay fever (seasonal allergic rhinitis), and may reduced itching of the skin in those people with chronic itchy skin rashes. Generic fexofenadine capsules and tablets are not yet available.
What should my health care professional know before I take fexofenadine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
• kidney disease
• heart disease
• other chronic illness
• an unusual or allergic reaction to fexofenadine, terfenadine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
• pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I take this medicine?
Take fexofenadine capsules by mouth, with a sip of water. you may take this medicine with food. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take fexofenadine more often than directed. You may need to take it for several days as prescribed before your symptoms improve.
Contact your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed. Fexofenadine is usually prescribed for children 6 years of age and older.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What other medicines can interact with fexofenadine?
• barbiturate medicines for inducing sleep or treating seizures (convulsions)
• medicines for anxiety or sleeping problems, such as diazepam or temazepam
• medicines for hay fever and other allergies such as antihistamines
• medicines for mental depression (antidepressants)
• medicines for mental problems, anxieties and psychotic disturbances
• medicines for pain such as opiate analgesics (e.g. codeine)
Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines you are taking, including non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements, or herbal products. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.
What side effects may I notice from taking fexofenadine?
Side effects of fexofenadine include:
• menstrual changes
• stomach upset, nausea, vomiting
NOTE: This information is not intended to cover all possible uses, precautions, interactions, or adverse effects for this drug. If you have questions about the drug(s) you are taking, check with your health care professional. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatment.